I’m jumping back to this older post now that the device has cleared the FCC (pretty much the last stop before anything is announced). The device has leaked quite a few times in the past . I glean a couple of things from this: 1) Porsche Design is still cranking out their own flavor of Blackberries which boggles my mind a little and 2) as usual it’s got a cutting edge look with 2 year-old hardware. So think of it as a poor-man’s Virtu.
he P’9983 smartphone from BlackBerry showcases Porsche Design features, which include high-end materials and finishes. The chassis, lock and right-side keys, and Porsche Design logo are constructed of forged and CNC-milled stainless steel. The camera lens is constructed of sapphire glass. The back cover is made with glass weave technology.
Some things for the niche market to finally look forward to:
- Display – 3.1 inch, 720 x 720 pixels, 24-bit color OLED display
- Memory – 64 GB application storage and 2 GB RAM
- Processor – 1.5 GHz dual-core processor
- Navigation – Touch screen
- Keyboard – Physical keyboard, full QWERTY
- Battery – 2100 mAh removable battery
- Camera – Front-facing camera: 2 MP, Fixed-focus, Image stabilization (for still image and video capture), 3x digital zoom / Rear-facing camera: 8 MP, Autofocus and flash, Image stabilization (for still image and video capture), 5x digital zoom
- Video Camera – Front-facing camera: 720p HD video recording at 30 fps. Rear-facing camera: 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps and 720p HD video recording at 60 fps
My question is this. Wouldn’t you rather get a Blackberry Passport? From a design perspective its probably more innovative and certainly has far more horsepower under the hood…